Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday, May 24, 2009 (ST 4324)

This puzzle was originally published in The Sunday London Times on April 12, 2009

Links to Solutions

A solution to today's puzzle may be found at Times for the Times [ST 4324].

From now on, I will not bother linking to the Toronto Star site unless I find some discussion of potential interest there. Usually this site just publishes the completed grid of the puzzle - which the Citizen prints in the same edition of the paper in which the puzzle appears. I presume the Toronto Star must delay publishing the solution to the puzzle, thus creating the demand for the blog to publish the solution. Rarely - very rarely - this blog has some discussion concerning the puzzle.

Comments on Today's Puzzle

15ac Raw beginners for example, getting taken in by swindles (7)

I take issue, as does Times for the Times, with the use of "i.e." (rather than "e.g.") to mean "for example" in the solution to this clue.

8d Headmaster brought into cooperation with the abused (8)

The comments posted on Times for the Times comprise, for the most part, a discussion concerning whether the usage of "Headmaster" in this clue is appropriate.

Citizen Cryptic Crossword by Susannah Sears

On Sundays, the Citizen also publishes a cryptic crossword puzzle created specifically for the paper by Susannah Sears whose website contains a variety of material of potential interest to cryptic crossword fans.

That's all for this week.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see the Times for the Times reports being useful to overseas solvers doing a syndicated copy. I'll let talbinho know that he now has a more international audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    I stumbled across your blog through a Google search for the term 'cryptic crosswords', and was amazed to see a link to my old Web site.

    I feel a little sheepish, as I haven't updated that site in SEVEN years. To be honest, I didn't know it was still searchable, let alone 'active'...lol. It was my first attempt at figuring out how to post puzzles on the Internet.

    But hey, if it can possibly offer solvers any useful information or references at all, then that's great! It's also always a kick to find fellow Ottawans with an interest in cryptic crosswords.

    Thanks for the 'shout out', and happy puzzling to you!

    Cheers,

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete